Sunday, November 11, 2007

Remembrance Day

Poppy Day

Since I am unlikely to go anywhere to wear my poppy, my computer is wearing it instead.

Last night we watched The Festival of Remembrance from the Royal Albert Hall. When all the poppy petals float down from on high I remember that even when a small child I would think that one of those was for my Uncle Walter. He died in what is now Singapore, after VE day. My Mum was engaged to him, and when she heard that he had died she felt a great need to be with his mother. She arrived at Paddington Station, where Dad met her train. It was the first time they met. So without Walter dying when he did it is unlikely I would be here today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the week to remember those that have sacrificed so much in service to their country, which is why it was so shocking to read in the Wales on Sunday at the likes of Peter Black Assembly AM ripping into ex-POW John McCain for the way he moves his arms. John McCain is a man who suffered greatly when he was shot down over Vietnam serving his country. If you read about the McCain family you will read about sacrifice and service to the United States of America. I read that John McCain’s father was at the signing of the Japanese surrender and died shortly thereafter. John McCain’s son is serving in Iraq. Whole generations of McCain’s have served and risked life and limb in service to their country … and there’s Peter Black ripping into McCain for the way he moves, for the way he uncomfortably supports his arms. Shame on you Peter Black.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/columnists/2008/11/09/elder-abuse-who-d-know-about-that-91466-22212029/